Congratulations to all winners of HSF's 2015 Historic Preservation Awards
Since 1983, Historic Salisbury Foundation has celebrated local historic preservation successes by presenting Preservation Awards to individuals, companies, and projects demonstrating various areas of excellence in preservation. This event is typically held in May, which is National Preservation Month.
Nominations are accepted from the public throughout the year and reviewed by a committee of preservation leaders in Rowan County. Projects completed within the past three years in Rowan County are eligible to receive an award.
HSF's Preservation Awards are made from bricks salvaged from the 1896 Grimes Mill, a roller mill which was lost to fire in January 2013.
1428 North Main Street, Salisbury
Approx. 2,600 sq. ft.
Lot size .22 acre - 50' x 194.5'
HSF's newest revolving fund property is located in the North Main Historic District. The house retains many original and early features such as staircase, French doors, an arched cased opening, wood mantels and beadboard walls. HSF has stabilized the structure and is selling it with protective covenants once the exterior painting is completed. It was constructed in 1893 for D.R. and Mittie Myers. He was a postman for a rural route delivery and several generations of the family grew up in the house.
St. John's Lutheran Church and HSF Working Together to Save 1870 Marsh-Ward House
Representatives from Historic Salisbury Foundation and St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church met yesterday to discuss creative opportunities for preserving the Marsh-Ward House and the historic streetscape along Fulton Street. At the end of our discussions, we all felt encouraged that a solution will be worked out which fulfills the goals of both organizations as well as one which supports the community.
The Marsh-Ward House along with four historic houses across the street were identified as potentially eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in the 2001 Phillips & Oppermann Study, conducted for the City of Salisbury. Originally constructed in the 1870s, the building was remodelled in the Colonial Revival style in the 1920s. Most recently, it served as the Bijoux dress store.
Receive current updates on the progress by following Historic Salisbury Foundation on Facebook.