Dr. Josephus Hall House today sits in a park like setting, reminiscent
of a long ago era when life was very different. Purchased by Historic
Salisbury Foundation in 1972, it was the Foundation's first project
and helped galvanize Salisbury's fledgling historic preservation
listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this handsome
house was built as a school in 1820. It became a residence in
1825 when local businessman Maxwell Chambers and his half-sister
Rebecca Troy purchased the house and made it their home.
medical doctor and businessman, Josephus Hall purchased the
house in 1859 and began work to make it the showplace it is
today. This house remained a home to three generations of the
Hall family. Historic Salisbury Foundation purchased the house
and furnishings from Dr. Hall's great granddaughter.
the Hall's china, silver and furniture, the house casts a magical
spell over visitors. Since it's purchase, the house has been maintained
by the Historic Salisbury Foundation and is open as a house museum.