Bring your family to the Hall House Museum in December to enjoy beautiful Christmas displays. Swagged greenery, fruits and berries, antique toys, heirloom quilts and coverlets are all combined to transform Dr. Hall's house and transport visitors back in time. Each room will delight young and old alike and many have made the tour a part of their family holiday traditions.
Regular tours are held Saturday and Sunday, November 23, 24, 30, December 1, 7,8,14,15,21,22 from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. A special candlelight tour is held on Christmas Eve from 6p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The house is located at 226 South Jackson Street.
Admission - $5 per adult, $3 per student, 12-17, children under 12, free. Christmas Eve tour is by donation.
This Salisbury landmark residence was originally an 1820 two-story Federal style double-pile frame house used by the girl's department of Salisbury Academy. In 1859, Dr. Josephus Hall (1805-1873) added a two-story front porch with cast iron oak leaf and acorn ornamental openwork, a gateway arch, and square-edged clapboard. The front windows were also lengthened.
During the Civil War, Dr. Hall served as hospital surgeon and surgeon in charge at the Salisbury Confederate Prison. Between 1890 and 1910, the attic was enlarged with a high-hipped roof and dormers.
Historic Salisbury Foundation purchased the home in 1972 from the Hall family, which had continuously occupied the residence for 113 years. The descendants donated the elegant period furniture to the foundation. A two-room detached kitchen, staffed before emancipation by enslaved persons, was carefully restored over a three year period and opened to the public in 2006. The Hall House is individually listed in the National Register for Historic Places and has been open for Christmas tours since 1972.